Where and How to Apply
- To apply for a library card, you must come to the library in person
- You will then fill out a registration form.
Personal Identification Is Needed
Library Card Use
- Portsmouth Public Library cards are not transferable.
- Please have your library card with you when borrowing materials
Library Card Eligibility
Free Cards are issued to...
- Residents of Portsmouth.
- Persons aged 5 and over are entitled to a card in their individual name.
- Students in Portsmouth Schools, including those from other towns.
- City of Portsmouth Employees. (Please bring most recent paycheck stub for verification)
- Portsmouth Property Owners
- Businesses, non-profit organizations, day care centers, nursery schools and state agencies located within the city are also eligible for a "business" library card. For more detailed information about business library cards, click here.
- Persons not living in Portsmouth may purchase a library card
- Available as a family membership. All users must reside in the same household.
- $80 for one year
- $45 for six months
- Senior rate (65 years or older) $75.00/$40.00
- Fee is set by the Board of Trustees & the City of Portsmouth
- Non Portsmouth businesses, organizations & schools are not eligible for a Portsmouth library card
Renewing Your Library Card
- Library cards are valid for two years.
- To re-register, proof of current residence must be shown.
- Library cards will not be renewed for borrowers with outstanding overdue items or fines, until their account is cleared.
Lost Library Cards
- You are responsible for all materials taken out on your card until the date the card is reported lost.
- Report your lost card immediately.
- If your card is not found after one month a new card may be issued for a charge of $1.00.