- Public computers and Internet access
Free Wireless Internet Access is available throughout the library.
- On the second floor next to the Reference Desk, there are 15 public computers which can be used by library cardholders for up to 90 minutes a day. These computers have internet access, a full suite of Microsoft Office applications as well as a number of other media-related applications.
- Two computers are dedicated to word processing only
- One computer is dedicated to project production with a flatbed scanner.
- Additionaly, there are two research computers dedicated to use ofthe library's subscription databases.
- The Youth Services area has 10 computers for public use. Four are reserved for use with CD-ROMS.
- Other Technology Resources
- The library has two photocopiers, with one on each floor.
- Microfilm Readers
- The library has three microfilm readers, plus a digital microfilm reader attached to a computer. All four are connected to printers.
- Public Fax Machine
(OUTGOING FAXES ONLY)
- The public fax machine is located in the "Printing/Copying" room on the second floor. Payment can be made by credit card or or by puchasing a FAX card at the Reference Desk.
The scanner can be used to create images of documents and photographs. Those images can be saved, edited, printed, and e-mailed.
- The library has one electric typewriter which is kept at the reference desk on the second floor. It is available for use upon request.
- Electronic magnifier for the visually impaired
- Tax Forms
During tax season, mid-January to mid-April, the Reference Department makes available copies of the most-requested Federal forms and schedules, as well as basic packages of New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts forms. Throughout the year, the Reference Department keeps back-up originals of Federal forms for past years and can assist tax payers in downloading forms from the IRS website.
- Community bulletin board for local events
- We post announcements of events only for thirty days. Posters, signs, flyers, and other items for the bulletin board should be left at the Welcome Desk to be initialed and posted by Library staff. We will put up notices for any kind of event as long as it has a specific date.
- Flyers, brochures, and other informational items in quantity may also be left at the Library’s Welcome Desk. Library staff will display materials of interest in the information kiosk near the bulletin board as space becomes available.
- Art Exhibits
- Exhibit and display space in the Portsmouth Public Library is used to highlight Library collections, services, and events.
- As scheduling permits, the Library also makes available space for groups, organizations, or individuals to exhibit in the library. Space is provided for educational, cultural, civic, or recreational exhibits with the following goals:
- To broaden horizons by presenting a wide range of art, collections, or displays
- To support community educational, cultural and artistic activities
- To nourish intellectual, aesthetic and creative growth
Visiting exhibits are on display for one month, but shorter time periods can be arranged if space permits. To discuss an educational, cultural, civic or recreational exhibit contact Nicole Cloutier at 603-766-1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the library's exhibit policy here.
- You can fill out a display application here or download the application here.