Housing Rehabilitation Program
What is the Portsmouth Housing Rehabilitation Program?
Who is eligible for the program?
- Low interest loans and deferred loans are available for housing repairs required to bring your home up to the City Housing Code. Such repairs may include window replacement, septic system replacement, roof repairs, plumbing repairs, and electrical work. The Housing Specialist will work with you to determine the amount and extent of the repairs.
How does the program work?
- Single family homeowners in Portsmouth who earn low or moderate incomes as defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Interested homeowners can call the Community Development Department for an application.
- The Housing Rehabilitation Staff will review the application to determine income eligibility.
- Upon acceptance into the program for income eligibility, the Housing Specialist will visit your home to discuss the project and to determine if the improvements requested are eligible. Based on this visit, he will prepare a detailed work write-up describing the work to be completed.
- After you approve the work write-up, the necessary bid documents and advertisements for contractor bids will be prepared. The lowest responsible bid will be accepted and work will begin.
- A mortgage note and promissory note will be prepared for the amount of your loan.
- The contract for the work to be completed will be between you and the contractor(s). The Housing Specialist will inspect the work as it is completed in accordance with the work write-up. If you are satisfied with the work completed, the Housing Specialist will ask you to authorize payment to the contractor(s). If any workmanship problems are discovered subsequently, you are responsible for contacting the contractor and taking any necessary actions against the contractor in accordance with the work write-up.
Who do I contact for more information?
Terry Poulin, 610-7232
Community Development Department
1 Junkins Avenue
Portsmouth, NH 03801