Where and How to Apply
- To apply for a library card, you must come to the library in person
- You will then fill out a registration form.
Personal Identification Is Needed
Library Card Use
- Portsmouth Public Library cards are not transferable.
- Please have your library card with you when borrowing materials
Library Card Eligibility
Free Cards are issued to...
- Residents of Portsmouth.
- Persons aged 5 and over are entitled to a card in their individual name.
- Students in Portsmouth Schools, including those from other towns.
- City of Portsmouth Employees. (Please bring most recent paycheck stub for verification)
- Portsmouth Property Owners
- Businesses, non-profit organizations, day care centers, nursery schools and state agencies located within the city are also eligible for a "business" library card. For more detailed information about business library cards, click here.
- Persons not living in Portsmouth may purchase a library card
- Available as a family membership. All users must reside in the same household.
- $90 for one year
- $50 for six months
- Senior rate (65 years or older) $85.00/$45.00
- Fee is set by the Board of Trustees & the City of Portsmouth
- Non Portsmouth businesses, organizations & schools are not eligible for a Portsmouth library card
Renewing Your Library Card
- Library cards are valid for two years.
- To re-register, proof of current residence must be shown.
- Library cards will not be renewed for borrowers with outstanding overdue items or fines, until their account is cleared.
Lost Library Cards
- You are responsible for all materials taken out on your card until the date the card is reported lost.
- Report your lost card immediately.
- If your card is not found after one month a new card may be issued for a charge of $1.00.
Businesses located within the city are eligible for a Portsmouth Public Library Business card, whether the business owns or rents space. Non-profit organizations, day care centers, nursey schools and state agencies are included in these provisions.
To apply for a card, the owner or Chief Executive Officer must complete and sign this membership form. In addition to the business information, the home information of the owner/CEO must be provided. Post office boxes are accepted as mailing addresses for the business, but are not considered proof of address. Other information such as lease or utility bill may be required as proof. Each business is entitled to two cards.
The following guidelines apply to business cards:
- Persons wishing to borrow materials using the business card must have it with them.
- The owner/CEO accepts financial responsibility for all fines and fees acrued.
- Cards are issued for two years and are considered void if the business leaves the city.
- Changes in location or phone number shold be reported to the Circulation Department.
- Any person presenting the card may borrow materials at the library.
Download the Business/Organization Library Card Form