Date of Release: Friday, January 23, 2009
Reference: Citizens Police Academy
The Portsmouth Police Department will be hosting our 2nd annual Citizens Police Academy that will be sponsored by Crime Stoppers. This collaborative effort will involve the seacoast communities and police departments of Greenland, Rye, Newington, New Castle, York Maine and will begin March 18, 2008.
CITIZEN POLICE APPLICATION 2009 (Click Here)
The goals of the Citizens Police Academy are:
- To bring citizens closer to their police departments.
- To bring a greater understanding of the role of the Police officer in the community.
- To provide a forum to address community concerns direct to the Police Departments.
- To expand the knowledge of laws and police procedure of the participants.
- To increase the public awareness of crime prevention techniques.
Session 1 March 18, 2009 1830-2130hrs. Location Portsmouth Police Department.
- Welcome and introductions
- Waiver completions/overview of Academy
- History of Law Enforcement and Portsmouth PD
- Portsmouth Police Commission Meeting Introduction
- Crimestoppers overview
- Tour of Portsmouth Police Department
Session 2 March 25, 2009 1830-2130hrs. Location Newington Police Department.
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Elements of crime
- Probable Cause
- Search and Seizure
- Portsmouth K-9 Demo
- Tour of Newington PD
Session 3 April 1, 2009 1830-2130hrs. Location Portsmouth Police Department.
- M/V Law
- Accident Invst
- DWI/Field Sobriety
- Breath Machine
- Officer Selection and Police Academy
Session 4 April 8, 2009 1830-2130hrs. Location Portsmouth Police Department.
- Domestic Violence
- Restraining orders
- Violence prevention
- Defensive tactics/OC/Taser
- SERT Demo
- Sexual Assault Support Services
- Visit with District Court Judge Gardner
Session 5 April 15, 2009 1830-2130hrs. Location Greenland Police Department.
- Safe driving-Michelle Norton Video
- Seatbelt use and the convincer demo
- Bicycle patrol
- Motorcycle patrols
- Radar operation
- In cruiser camera operations
- Tour of Greenland PD
Session 6 April 22, 2009 1830-2130hrs. Location Rye Police Department.
- School Resource Officer
- Narcotics Invst and SIU
- Evidence collection
- Mock crime scene
- Group Photo
- Tour of Rye PD
Session 7 April 29, 2009 1700-2130hrs. Location New Castle Police Department.
- Tour of New Castle PD
- Tour of Coast Guard Station and Boat
- Tour of Rockingham County Jail
Session 8 May 6, 2009 1800-2130hrs. Location Portsmouth Police Department and/or City Hall Council Chambers.
- Slide Show
In addition, each participant would be expected to attend 2 hours in a Court as an observer as well as 4 hours of ride along sometime during the 8 week academy. A participant is allowed to miss one session and still complete academy.
THERE IS NO FEE that will be charged to the participants. Course outline subject to change based on availability and Department activity that day.
For more information you can contact Detective Tom Grella at the Portsmouth Police Department at 603-610-7429 or e-mail at Citizenspoliceacademy@pd.cityofportsmouth.com