The Department of Public Works has launched a food composting pilot program to determine public interest in food waste composting and obtain insight into operational adjustments when collecting food waste. A food waste drop-off area is now located at the Recycling Center will be available to Portsmouth residents during normal operational hours. This service is maintained by local company Mr. Fox Composting.
Acceptable items to compost include:
- food scraps: vegetables, fruit & meat (please remove any stickers from vegetables or fruit);
- coffee grounds & filters;
- paper napkins, plates, and towels;
- tea bags (please remove staples);
- muffin wax wrappers;
- flowers & floral trimmings;
- wooden corks;
- all corn-based cups and utensils; and
- Paper bag and/or compostable bag
The Recycling Center hours of operation are:
- Tuesday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Wednesday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Thursday 7:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Recycling Center Address
Located behind the Public Works facility at 680 Peverly Hill Road.