Thank you for your interest in the Portsmouth School Department. This section spells out the process and requirements in which each applicant must follow when seeking professional employment for a teaching position within the Portsmouth Schools.
Your initial packet must include the following:
- A Completed Application
- A Brief Cover Letter Indicating The Position(s) For Which You Are Applying
- Three (3) Current Letters Of Professional Reference
- Copies of all College Transcripts (Unofficial copies are acceptable for the initial application. Official copies will be required from finalists.)
- Copy of Current New Hampshire Teacher Certification. If certified in another state(s), please include a copy of certification(s).
NOTE: Information regarding New Hampshire teacher certification can best be obtained from the State Department of Education - Bureau of Credentialing Office at : (603) 271-2407 or visit their website at: www.state.nh.us/doe/
A COMPLETE PACKET CONTAINING THE ABOVE PAPERWORK SHOULD BE MAILED TO:
Superintendent of Schools
Portsmouth School Department
1 Junkins Avenue, Suite 402
Portsmouth, NH 03801
or Email a complete packet to firstname.lastname@example.org
DURING THE INTERVIEW, PLEASE BE PREPARED TO PROVIDE/ADDRESS THE FOLLOWING:
- A Sample Lesson/Unit Plan
- Your Answers To Additional Information Questions On The Application
- Your Knowledge and Skills With Differentiation, Classroom Management, Engagement of Learners, Desire to be in Portsmouth, Collaboration, Content Knowledge, Understanding of Learners and Assessment for Learning
- Experience With Block Scheduling, Including Strategies Utilized (applicants for high school positions)
Finalists will be required to submit a videotape of a lesson, or will participate in an on-site observation by the selection team.
The recruitment team will consist of the building principal or his/her designee, director, department head or team leader, and at least one other professional staff member when appropriate.
The recruitment team will review all applications and decide on the best applicants to interview.
OBSERVATION OF THE FINALISTS
The recruitment team will send representatives of the team to observe the candidate teaching at his/her present school. If this is not possible, the candidate will be invited to teach classes in Portsmouth so the recruitment team can observe the candidate. The recruitment team will make the final selections and recommendations to the Superintendent of Schools.