BLUE RIBBON SENIOR COMMITTEE
In July of 2013, Mayor Eric Spear created a Blue Ribbon Senior Committee with the charge to advise the City Council on developing a Senior Center. The Senior Committee met eight times from August through December 2013 and developed a report and recommendations for the City Council for further review.
Throughout the course of the Committee, the members decided to recommend the creation of a 50+ Activity Center (tentative designation) after a review of demographic information that revealed an incoming surge in the senior population.
The Senior Committee Report is found below along with supplemental items which informed the Committee's work.
Blue Ribbon Senior Committee Report
- Comprehensive Recreation Needs Study (already online, use existing link)
- City of Portsmouth Demographic Trends (see senior folder)
- Senior Demographic Trends (see senior folder)
- United States of Aging Survey (see senior folder)
- AARP's Voices of 50+ New Hampshire (see senior folder)
- Self-Assessment & Accreditation Manual from NCOA/NISC (National Council on Aging & National Institute of Senior Centers) (see senior folder)
- NCOA Senior Center Fact Sheet (see senior folder)
- Report on the Status of Senior Services & Recommendations (already online I believe, use existing link)
- The Greater Portsmouth Area Senior Center Project
- Services & Resources for Seniors