Department of Public Works, 680 Peverly Hill Rd, Portsmouth, NH 03801 Phone: (603) 427-1530, Fax: (603) 427-1539 - Contact Us

Household Hazardous Waste Day
Saturday, April 29th , 2017 from 8 a.m. - Noon

For residents of Portsmouth, Greenland & Newington - Proof of Residency Required.
Department of Public Works, 680 Peverly Hill Road, Portsmouth, NH 03801

NO LATEX PAINT will be accepted at this collection event. Latex paint may be solidified with kitty litter, sawdust, speedy dry or by opening the can and allowing the paint to completely dry before it is disposed either at the Recycling Center or through regular trash pick-up.

Bring the household hazardous waste products a to the Department of Public Works facility at 680 Peverly Hill Road for safe disposal between 8 a.m. and noon. Residents must show proof of residency.
Bring your unwanted household chemicals to Portsmouth's Dept of Public Works for safe disposal including:



What Is Household Hazardous Waste?
Hazardous wastes typically found in homes include:  · Gasoline  ·  Antifreeze  ·  Photographic Chemicals ·  Oil-Based Paints  ·  Drain Cleaners  ·  Pesticides  ·  Furniture Strippers  ·  Oven Cleaners ·  Disinfectants   ·  Kerosene  ·  Spot Removers  ·  Used Motor Oil  ·  Auto Batteries 

Why Should I be Concerned?
When improperly stored and disposed these products can injure you, your family, or your pets; harm the environment; and possibly contaminate drinking water supplies.

Are Some Places At Greater Risk Than Others?
The Portsmouth area is of particular concern because it has been identified as an area from which groundwater flows to a public drinking water supply.  If you have a well on your property, you also need to think about protecting the groundwater that supplies your well.

What Should I Do? 
Residents of Portsmouth, Greenland and Newington can bring their household hazardous waste to Portsmouth’s Department of Public Works, 680 Peverly Hill Rd. Portsmouth.

For more information about Household Hazardous Waste Collection (HHW) call DES at 271-2047 or visit our household hazardous waste web site at:

For more information about the NH Drinking Water Source Protection Program call DES at 271-7061 or visit the web site at:

return to Solid Waste and Recycling Info