Portsmouth offers single stream recycling, which means residents put all recyclable waste into one recycling bin.
Aluminum food and beverage containers
Glass food and beverage containers
– brown, clear, or green
Plastic containers with the symbols #1thru #7
All types of paper. The motto: If you can rip it – recycle it! This includes but is not limited to:
Newspaper, Magazines, Catalogs
Mail & Junk mail
Cereal and Pasta boxes
Aseptic cartons such as juice, soy, broth, milk cartons, etc.
Phone & paperback books
If the cardboard is too large for the bin:
Materials Not Accepted:
- Flatten boxes and bundle together;
- Place bundled cardboard next to recycle bin.
Window or auto glass
Ceramics, Porcelain or glass cookware
Plastics un-numbered and Styrofoam
Yard waste will be collected curbside from 3/19/12 through 11/30/12
Christmas Trees will be collected curbside from 1/3/12 through 1/13/12
Use paper bags or trash barrel clearly marked “yard waste”.
Bags no more than 50 lbs each.
Brush – must be bundled into groups for easy pick up. Bundles should not be greater than 1’ in diameter and 4’ in length. Brush pieces w/in bundles no greater than 5” in diameter. Use string or twine to bundle.
Residents can bring bulky waste items to the Recycling Center. If you are unable to bring your bulky waste to the Recycling Center (427-1530):
- Call Public Works to schedule a pick. The bulky waste will not be picked up unless you schedule a pick up.
- Public Works will schedule and let you know of the date(s) for collection of your specified materials.
- Place your bulky waste curbside no earlier than 7:00 P.M. the evening before the scheduled pick-up date.
- Do not place the waste curbside without scheduling a collection date with Public Works.
Each residential property is allowed 4 curbside collections of bulky waste per calendar quarter, each of which shall be limited to a maximum of 64 cubic feet per collection (approximately a mid-sized pick-up truck load).
Behind DPW, 680 Peverly Hill Road
Tuesday 8 am - 3:30 pm
Wednesday & Thursday 8 am - 3:30 pm
Saturday 8 am - noon
Specialty items Portsmouth residents can recycle – bring to the Recycling Center, no curbside collection available:
Fluorescent light bulbs
Oil & oil filters
Propane tanks (empty)
RV waste (Pease Treatment Plant, 427-1553)
The following items are/or contain hazardous waste but can be disposed of throughout the year – bring to the Recycling Center or call DPW to schedule a pick up.
A fee is charged for these items to cover extra handling and processing for proper disposal.
$ 5.00 per tire
$ 8.00 per electronic unit
$10.00 per freon containing unit (i.e. refrigerators, air conditioners)
Household Hazardous Waste Days only
(One in the Spring and another in the Fall)
What Is Household Hazardous Waste?
Hazardous wastes typically found in homes include:
- Transmission Fluid, Engine Degreaser, Brake Fluid
- Oil-based paints
- Stains, Thinners & Strippers
- Solvents & Varnishes
- Hobby Supplies, Art Supplies
- Drain cleaners
- Oven cleaners
- Spot removers
- Photographic chemicals
- Swimming Pool Chemicals
- Adhesives, Glues, Resins
- Poisons, Insecticides, Weed Killers